Standing at the intersection of Main Street and South Temple is this magnificent bronze monument. Brigham Young was the second president of the LDS Church and the man responsible for leading the Mormon Pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. The statue first displayed at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. The statue now sits on the south end south of the new one-block Church Plaza located east of the Salt Lake Temple. The monument also honors the Utah Indians and fur trappers who inhabited the region.
The Eagle Gate monument spans between State Street and South Temple. The monument was erected in 1859 and marked the entrance to Brigham Young's estate at one time. The gate has a 76 foot span and is topped by a 4,000 lb. bronze eagle with a wing span of 20 feet. The monument has been replaced several times over the years. The original wooden eagle is on display at the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum.