Tuzigoot is an ancient village or pueblo built by a culture known as the Sinagua. The pueblo consisted of 110 rooms including second and third story structures. The first buildings were built around A.D. 1000. The Sinagua were agriculturalists with trade connections that spanned hundreds of miles. The people left the area around 1400. The site is currently comprised of 42 acres.
Two trails are found at Tuzigoot -- The Ruins Loop trail and the Tavasci Marsh Overlook trail. These two self-guiding trails with wayside exhibits describe the cultural and natural history of the site. The Ruins Loop trail is paved, about 1/3 mile in length. The Tavasci Marsh Overlook trail takes the visitor to an overview of Tavaschi Marsh, one of the few freshwater marshes in Arizona.
The Tuzigoot Visitor Center is a small, old-style museum with many artifacts on display. It is one of the few museums interpreting ancient Sinaguan culture in Arizona.
Adults (16 and over) - $5 (for 7 days)
Children (under 16) - Free
Tuzigoot/Montezuma Castle National Monuments Discount Pass - $8
Tuzigoot National Monument is 52 miles south of Flagstaff, Arizona via U.S. Alternate Highway 89A, or 90 miles north of Phoenix. Travel Interstate Highway 17, take Exit 287 and travel west on Highway 260 to Cottonwood. In Cottonwood take Main Street north towards Clarkdale.